History of West End

GraveStonesA Brief History of West End
West End was originally the West End of Chobham (East End and North End also existed).
1680 West End first appears on a map of Surrey. The whole area was heathland and peat bogs.
There are four Bronze Age round burial mounds (barrows) on New England Hill, Brentmoor Heath.
The route of a possible minor Roman road passed through the track on Turf Hill, down Broad Street, then along the footpath opposite and onward to Bisley [In the Windlesham Arboretum evidence of buildings covering the period 200-300 AD have been found, possibly a small villa].
During the rule of William the Conqueror (1066-1087) West End formed part of the Royal Forest of Windsor which at that time covered most of Surrey.
There is no mention of West End in the Domesday Book (1086) but the settlement of Chobham (then named Cebheha) is documented as Lordship 1, villagers 29, smallholders 6 with 11 ploughs, slaves 3.
Malthouse FarmThere are many buildings of note, that date before 1809, e.g. the oldest parts of Lucas Green Manor date back to 16th Century. Brook Place was rebuilt in 1656. Malthouse Farm, originally Parsonage Farm dates back to the 16th Century. Hookstone Farm is one of the oldest houses in West End, with some parts pre-dating 1450.
1786 First record of 'Beating the bounds'.
1802 A baptist chapel was built in Streets Heath.
1815 After the Napoleonic wars the Lord of the manor offered half acre plots of land to any demobilised soldier or sailor who would build his own house on the land. Many took up the offer and homes were built of local stone dug from the Common and were often thatched with heather. These homes were the origin of Donkey Town (on the west side of the village along Brentmoor Road).
1842 Holy Trinity Church built. It fell under the Parish of Chobham. The church was built of local stone dug by villagers from West End Common, probably from the area of Mainstone Hill. It contains the Calvary Memorial.
1845 National school opened in Benner Lane, near the church where Tringham Cottages now stand.
1879 the War Department purchased and enclosed over 2000 acres of West End Common which resulted in the loss of Common Rights to the numerous farmers.
1881 St Lukes Chapel built in Birch Lane.
The Institute1886 West End Institute opened. This was used as the village hall and was built where the Social Club now stands.




1887 Gordon Boys home opened in West End (previously housed at Fort Wallington, Portsmouth). The Home is the Nations memorial to Major Gordons SchoolGeneral Charles George Gordon who was killed whilst defending Khartoum in 1885. Housing in West End increased to provide a workforce for the new school. The school changed its name to Gordon’s School in 1988. Girls were admitted from September 1990.
1895 The first Vicar of West End Parish arrived.
1921 Erection of War Memorial.
1927 Working Mens Club formed, which occupied part of the Institute.
1927 Inaugural meeting of West End Womens Institute.
1935 King George V Silver Jubilee Fete
1940 on 24th September a German bomber (a Heinkel He111) crashed near the junction of the A322 and Streets Heath, then heathland (east of the social club). The occupants had parachuted out and only a burned shell was left.
1940 German bomer
1947 The recreation ground was created
1968 West End became a separate civil Parish to that of Chobham.
1973 8th May a large group of residents met and formed the West End Village Society.
1978 Windlemere Golf Course and clubhouse opened on 15th May.Sports Pavillion (left) and Tringham Hall
1981 Tringham Hall opened. The Tringham family were benefactors to many village amenities, particularly Miss Mary Tringham.
1987 Surrey Heath Borough Council purchased the eastern 75 acres of Brentmoor Heath from the Ministry of Defence for £75,000. The whole of the Nature Reserve is now a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), a ‘Special Protection Area’ (SPA) and Special Area of Conservation (SAC) which is managed by Surrey Wildlife Trust on behalf of Surrey Heath Borough Council and the Ministry of Defence, who retain land ownership of the additional 75 acres adjacent to Greyspot Grenade Range.Brentmoor Heath

1988 The building of the tennis courts and redevelopment of the childrens’ play area commenced in the summer.
1990’s The Nursery Green Estate was built in between Guildford Rd and Fenns Lane on land previously comprising Fellow Green Dairy Farm, Fellow Green Garage and Surrey Rose Nursery. As part of the build four and a half acres of land were set aside for recreation.





1998
Bowls club opened on 25th April.
2003 April extensive fire affects West end common, mainly within the range fence.
Further details here
2006 On August 13, extensive flooding occurred following a deluge of rain, with over 5 inches of rain Flooding (by the social club)falling in 4 hours, resulting in flooding of the High Street and other areas in and around the village. In 2008/9 significant work on drainage and ditches had been carried out.
2010 19th May. Extensive fire on West end Common starts. The fires burned for 5 days
Picture 1 Picture 2

Information has been taken from:
 
Story of West End’ booklet (by Ena Simmons and Richard Wilson, copies of which can be purchased from the West End Village Society). and West End history project

Names Old and New - article by Richard Wilson, West End historian

Public transport in West End:
1800's to 1900's

Population and occupations of West Enders in the late 19th Century

Health Care 1915-1917


West End History Project
-sets out to record photographs and minute books from local organisations. If you have any details please Tel. 01276 858293. All original documents will be returned.
Our thanks to John Smith and Mick Glazier from WE History Project for providing photographs of the bomber, the Institute, school and Mayday events. We wish to thank John Smith for providing additional information for this history page in 2012.